I absolutely love split pea and ham soup but not the sodium that it usually comes with, along with bloating and water retention. So here is a healthy version of my old time favorite. I add smoked paprika to give it a smoky flavor and use low sodium chicken broth to give it a bit more essence. Using turkey bacon can be another option if you really like the taste of ham in your soup. One more things, the recipe below is for my weeks worth of work lunches so if you would like to make less just cut the volume.
- 2.5lb bag Trader Joe’s frozen chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 lb bag of frozen peppers mix or use 4 fresh bell peppers
- 1lb bag split peas
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb bag baby carrots
- 2 16oz boxes of low sodium chicken broth
- smoked paprika
- red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- garlic gloves
- Place all the ingredients into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 30 min steering occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for another 30 min.
Compliment with a red pepper, Sriracha, cheese, and Ezekiel bread grilled cheese.
Server warm and savor every bit.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit
Here is the link to get your Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (28oz):