I am switching gyms. I do not know if it is a habit or just getting bored of the same place. So I am switching from Sports & Health to Crunch. The main thing that actually got me is Purmotion Functional Equipment and Aerial Yoga.
(scroll down to go straight to the workout)
I took Aircat Aerial Yoga certification training in January. Kathy is amazing, she comes from aerial art background and that is exactly what attracted me to get her certification course. Aerial art allows me to combine my love of yoga, strength training, and dance. All at one place – what a treat. I love dancing and went to ballet school when I was a kid and Kathy also visited and trained in Bolshoi Theater in Russian as came to found out later.
By the way, I am also getting an outdoor 19 Feet rigging so there will be videos coming in spring. I will tell you, you need a lot of core and upper body strength to pull yourself up, lift your legs, and turn up-side down all while balancing and preventing yourself from swinging or falling, and doing al that in a controlled fashion too – that what actually really works al your muscle – active dynamic muscle engagement and tension. and if you are working toward your headstand and handstand push-ups it is a great step to help you build up your strength and get used to being upside down.
So tomorrow will be my first day. I am really excited. Anyway, here is your Monday workout – The “Fat Torcher”. It is a whole body routine designed to effectively and efficiently burn fat and help you gain lean muscle mass while gaining necessary strength for functional activities we do every day (e.g., playing with kids, game with your friends, moving to a new house, helping a friend by bringing them home after a long night out :)).
Warm-up 5-10 min (really important, it will help you perform better and prevent injury, you will be surprised how much more you can do if you warm-up first, dynamic stretching at the beginning is more beneficial to static, save those for the end when your muscle are really warm and can handle it)
FYI: I am getting my video camera in the next month or so (waiting for tax refund) and will be posting Muscle Flow warm ups (a blend of brazilian jujutsu, yoga, qigong, and tai-chi)
Whole body workout | Duration 28 min | All out effort | 6 exercises | 4 rounds | Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 24 double rounds of 10 sec rest & 60 sec work
- Spiderman pushup
- Medicine ball squat jumps
- Plank with weight or sandbag transfer
- Dumbbell lateral squats with ankle exercise band
- Horizontal pull-ups with elevated legs
- Backward lunges with medicine ball twist
- Spiderman pushup: Using sliders or towels on a sliding surface, get into a pushup position, engage your core, bring your shoulders back and away from your neck and ears, align middle finger with your mid shoulder (to avoid putting too mush weight on the wrists). Slide your left arm out and away from your body, practically flat on the floor but keep it slightly bent. Simultaneously, bend your right arm to lower your body into a pushup position and at the same time bring your right knee to your left elbow.
- Medicine ball squat jumps: Grab a medicine ball and hold in close to your chest. Engage your abs and glutes, feet shoulder-width apart, heels flat. Inhale an lower yourself down into a squat (if your have knee problems do not lower below 90 degrees or when your thighs become parallel to the floor). Make sure your knee is not pass your toe. Exhale and power up. Land softly absorbing the weight through your legs.
- Plank with sandbag transfer: Lower yourself into a plank position, place your sandbag on one side, outside by your arms. Contract your abs, glutes, abductors, and engage your feet and palms of our hand, keep your hips parallel to the floor, inhale, use the arm closest the sandbag to grab it and exhale pull the sandbag under your torso and transfer it to the opposite side. Repeat on the other side. This is one repetition.
- Dumbbell lateral squats with ankle exercise band: Attach the exercise band to your ankles. Grab a pair of dumbells, hold them palms facing your body. Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width apart. Engage your core, inhale and shift your hips to the left and down by bending your left knee, while keeping your right leg straight and foot engaged on the ground. If your foot comes off the floor then do not come into as deep of a squat just to the point where your foot starts coming of. Exhale and push through your left hip, returning to the starting position. Repeat on the other side.
- Horizontal pull-ups with elevated legs: Set smith machine or standard Olympic bar on a squat rack so you can crab the handle and be able to hang underneath the bar without your back off the floor. Inhale and grab the bag and hang under it with your legs extended and your core engaged, exhale, engage your rhomboids, shoulders, back, and arms, and perform a pull up until. Bring your chest almost to the point where it touches the bar, the inhale and lower yourself so that your arms are completely extended. Repeat.
- Backward lunges with medicine ball twist: Grab a medicine ball, stand tall with your your core engaged and your shoulders back and down, with your hand extended in front of you while holding a medicine bal. Inhale and step backwards, exhale and rotate to the same side as your front flexed knee. Inhale, push off with your front knee, simultaneously bring your arms back in front of you. Repeat on the other side.
Cool down and enjoy a post workout protein shake.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit
Click on the link or banner below if you do not have one yet and get the full benefit of the workout or Gymboss Interval Timer, Cap Barbell Medicine Ball (Purple, 4lb), Thera-Band Latex Exercise Band Pack – Light – 1 Thin/1 Medium/1Heavy – 5.5 in. X 5 ft, or , or Ultimate Sandbag: