Happy Easter. Yes, again, I am Orthodox and today is my Easter. Usually I make Pascha (semi-sweet bread type cake with raisins) but this year I decided to venture out and make a cake. I am preparing for a competition I only had a small slice but it was really good. It was truly a nutritional Sunday splurge 🙂
Here is my creation: Chocolate Torte With Apricot Rum Filling. I used a cake recipe from “Wood and Wine” magazine as my inspiration but I changed some ingredients. For example, I used Orange Blossom honey – hmm hmm good – instead of corn syrup.
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 5 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 3/4 Cups Apricot Jam or Preserves
- 2/3 Cup Honey
- 2 tbsp Rum
- 10 oz Semi-sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Preheat the over to 190 C or 395 F
- Batter and lightly dust with flour a non-stick cake pan
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Then whip egg whites with a hand-held mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- In a separate bowl mix flour with almond meal, and salt.
- In another bowl, soften the butter and mix with sugar until fluffy. Fold in yolk, one at a time, and mix until fluffy.
- Add in 5 oz melted chocolate.
- Then add in quarter of the whipped egg whites. Then fold in the rest and mix with a spoon until even consistency is reached.
- Add in the batter into the flour. Mix well. Pore the batter into the prepared floured pan. I pour only half and cook the first layer and then cook the second. It makes a cake a bit dense but i really do not like cutting the cake into half’s, not very good at it so I make a short cut and just bake two layers 🙂 You can however, just make one and then cut it into two or three layers.
- Bake the batter for 8-9 min if half or 20 if the entire batch was used.
- Once the cake done (tooth pick test – if nothing sticks then the dough is done) take it out form the over and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make a filling lets whisk 1/3 of the cup of the Apricot jam with 1/3 cup of lukewarm water then microwave until apricot jam is melted.
- Place the cake on a plate and brush the first layer with the half of the apricot and water mixture. Then place the rest of the Apricot jam on top. If you cut the cake in 3 layer then only use half of the leftover jam and use the rest on the second layer. Repeat this step for the second layer.
- Refrigerate the cake for 20 min to let it settle.
- Meantime, place 10 oz of chocolate morsels in a bowl. In a glass sauce pan mix honey, rum, and 2 tbsp of water and heat on low-temperature until melted. Pour the mixture over the chocolate. Let it melt and then mix until blended.
- Let it cool. Then pour half of the chocolate run sauce over the cake and let it drape the layers. Then add more and let it drip over the edges evenly.
- You can decorate with chocolate or coconut flakes. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit