I have been having a craving for rib. I could not deny myself it anymore. So I raided Whole Foods for all the food items that I need. Also, I was watching several cooking shows and got an inspiration for the way I would like to prepare my ribs. The name of the way you cook food is “en Papillote”. In other words the food is sealed up in packages (parchment paper or foil) and steams in it’s own flavorful liquids and juices.
- Rack of ribs (I used Louisiana babe ribs)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp fennel
- 1 tbsp celery seeds
- 1 tbsp diablo chilli powder
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp shredded fresh ginger root
- bunch of Italian parsley
- bunch of dill
- 1 large chopped vidalia onion
- 3 16 oz low sodium packages of vegetable broth
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 corn on the cob
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- In a large bowl (big enough to place rack of ribs) combine all spices and stock. When done place a plate and a small weight on top of rack of ribs. I used small cast iron pot.
- Cover with plastic, place in the fridge, and marinate overnight or 24 hr.
- The next day heat the oven to 200 F or 107 C.
- I used my turkey pan to cook the rack. Line with several layers of parchment so that the edges are overlapped enough for liquids to not escape. I used a lot of parchment paper and it looked a bit funny but totally worth it.
- Layer julienne cut portobello caps (about 1 inc so they do not get too soggy), then place 1 inch cut round slices of sweet potatoes, put corn on the cob, place the marinated rack of ribs on top.
- Now pore the marinate over ingredients.
- Using tooth pick close the parchments edges to create a package. I also used alumni foil to cover the entire area of the pan and seal any air that might escape.
- Place in the oven and bake for 3 and half hours or more depending on the rack size. Mine was on a smaller size.
- When done, raise the temperature to 250 C or 480 F for another 20 min. Be careful when opening up due to trapped heat so you do not burn.
Have a Happy Sunday!
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit