- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105°F-115°F)
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) of active dry yeast (check the expiration date on the package)
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (can use all-purpose but bread flour will give you a crisper crust)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Sauce and Toppings Ingredients:
- pepperoni ( we like a lot of it)
- 1 16 oz can unsalted canned whole tomatoes or 2 large fresh tomatoes
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1/3 med vidalia onion
- Quattro Formaggi cheese or cheese of your choice
Pizza Dough Cooking Steps:
- Take a large bowl and add the warm water. Then sprinkle on the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved. Use a wooden spoon and stir to dissolve completely.
- When time is up, add the olive oil, flour, salt, and sugar, then mix.
- Knead with your hands (I am an old-fashion type of girl :)) for about 10 minutes. Kneading really improves the texture of the final product.
- Coat a bowl lightly with olive oil and then place ball of dough and turn it in the bowl so that it gets coated with the oil. Cover with a towel (not touching the dough) and leave it in a warm non-drafty area (75-85°F) until it doubles in size, about 1 hour or when time is up you can punch the dough down so it deflates and leave for several hours longer, a longer rise will improve the flavor of dough. If you want to make ahead, you can freeze the dough in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- When dough is doubled in size, it is time to remove the towel from the dough and punch the dough down.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour on a flat surface and form a round ball of dough. Then let is sit for about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare tomato sauce. Place tomatoes, onion, and spices in a blender and blend.
- When 10 min is up, take the dough and flatten it with your hands on a slightly floured work surface. Starting at the center and working outwards, use your fingertips to press the dough to 1/2-inch thick or thicker if you are a thick crust type of person. My son loves rolling the dough too. So this time we ere rolling 🙂
- When stretching and rolling turn it about 90 degrees so it is equally stretched in all directions.
- Let the dough relax for 5 minutes and then continue to stretch it until it reaches the desired diameter.
- Lightly sprinkle your pizza peel baking sheet (I got the round pizza stone and absolutely love it – cooks better and the ambiance is surely makes the experience so much more authentic) with flour.
- Place prepared flattened dough to the pizza baking sheet.
- Using a flat wooden spoon ( or the one you use to place icing on cake) spoon on the tomato sauce, add peperoni, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake pizza until the crust is browned and the cheese is golden, about 10-15 minutes. (I use long wooden thin stick to check if it is cooked inside just like you would check muffins and bread).
- Now dive in.
Have a great day. I will be posting my Saturday workout tomorrow.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit