I hope everyone had a great Saturday and may be many was celebrating Cinco de Mayo, I took a dance class with Latin rhythms yesterday – was great.
So getting back to the POP dish of the day – Mimosa. You know, when I came to USA I noticed that tuna melts, potato salads, and many other salad variations with mayo was very popular. Well, it still is. SO I though about one of the Russian dishes that has similar properties – and yes, it is maid with mayo. However, since the whole idea is healthy living without deprivation I decided to play around with a couple of ingredients and ended up subbing mayo for regular or spicy humus (always can add Sriracha Hot Chilli Sauce to give it a kick just like I did with a tuna melt with a kick). Plus I used jasmine brown rice instead of white rice to have the good carbs. I hope you like this as much as I do. Also you can sub pink canned salmon for either sardines in water or tuna.
Also, in case you are wondering why it is called Mimosa. Well, in Russia 8th of March is a Women’s day just like mothers day in US. And I loved getting little beautiful and absolutely cute Mimosa flowers for my grandma and mom. They only bloom during that time. They have little yellow round flowers and the flowers are simulated by putting chopped egg yolk on top of all other layered ingredients.
- 5 boiled eggs
- 8 oz. hummus
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown Jasmin rice
- 1 small vidalia onion
- 1/3 cup of shredded cheese (blending several cheeses will give you even more flavor. Try blending Mozarella, Gorgonzola, Picorino, and Parmigiano or nay other of your favorites)
- 12 oz. can pink salmon
- You will need a bowl with flat bottom about 8 by 9 inc or so .
- First layer cold rice and gently push it in so it stick a bit together.
- Chop onion and place in a bowl, fold in 4 oz of hummus and blend until smooth. Then layer on top of rice.
- In a separate bowl combine salmon or tuna with 4 oz of hummus. Blend until smooth. When opening tuna/pink salmon keep the liquid or the salad will come out dry.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Chop egg whites and layer evenly on top of salmon.
- Spread shredded cheese on top.
- Chop egg yolks and sprinkle on to of cheese.
Have a wonderful day.
Esse Libere Fitness- Free To Be Fit