I already posted the Lean Thanksgiving Turkey recipe and fess up that I also had some last nigh…it was awesome. So today I am making my famous Heavenly Pecan Pie with Graham Cracker Pie Crust from Scratch. I refuse to eat my pie without graham cracker crust, just like cheese cake it just have to have it…it is not the same without it. Try it you will not want to go back to eating it any other way. Also, I use honey instead of corn syrup, add a whole new dimension and the taste can change depending on what type of honey you use…orange or wild flower…take a pick.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup wild honey
- 2 tbsp melted organic butter | unsalted
- 1 tbsp vanilla | Vanilla Flavor (no Alcohol) Fair Trade Certified Organic
Graham Cracker Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 3 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup organic unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup wild honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla soy milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla | Vanilla Flavor (no Alcohol) Fair Trade Certified Organic
Graham Cracker Pie Crust Prep:
- Take out butter ahead of time so it is soft when you are ready to cook. And use all ingredients (eggs, milk) at room temperature so they come together better.
- Sift the flour, add baking soda and powder. Mix
- In a separate bowl cream together butter, honey, sugar, vanilla.
- Fold in flour mixture gradually. Mix well until uniform consistency and refrigerate overnight or for couple of hours if short on time.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl slightly beat the eggs, then add sugar, butter, honey and vanilla (this will be the pie filling).
- Fold in pecans (I used 1 cup shopped and 1/4 whole) mix well.
- Take pie-baking mold and press the batter into the mold. I like doing it with my hands plus this time I only refrigerated for 2 hr so it is softer then if you leave it overnight. However, I would have used my hands anyway. Also, I love the pie crust to be thick at the bottom and on sides so I need to use my hands to make sure I have thick graham cracker side. Hmm…so good
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes. Time frame depends on how you like your filling to be softer or firmer so adjust as necessary.
- Enjoy! In moderation 🙂
I am going for a run – the weather is so beautiful – and then will have a slice of heaven…cannot wait…who know may be I will run faster so I can get back faster 🙂
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit