The other day I did Mini Apple Pie Holiday Wonders my folks liked it so much they asked to make it with meat, so here is another new invention of mine: Russian Savory Meat Purses.
Purses Crust Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 egg
Russian Savory Meat Purses Filling Ingredients:
- 8 oz filet Mignon
- 8 oz pork roast
- 1 onion
- 16 oz mushrooms your choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Spices to taste: red pepper flakes, garlic and onion powder, marjoram, coriander, celery seed, mustard seed, paprika powder, lemon peel, turmeric
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
Purse Crust Cooking Steps:
- In a large bowl combine flour and salt.
- Add the softened but still pretty firm and cut up into small pieces.
- Add milk and mix until the dough can be molded into a ball.
- Roll out the dough, and cut out round pieces that will fit into the muffin maker plus enough to pinch and cover the apple on top. I had 15 circles. But make sure they are not too thin so the bottom does not fall of when ready. I would say it is a corn tortilla thickness.
- Layer parchment or plastic wrap in between and place into the fridge for 1 hr so it settles.
- Take out and keep out for 15 min before using.
Russian Savory Meat Purses Filling Cooking Steps:
- Cook the meat. Reserve the stock, you can make really tasty mashed potatoes, with it and it is just heavenly with all the meat juices goodness making them x-tra tasty.
- Ground cooked meats and make sure it is chilled before proceeding.
- Heat up a skillet and saute chopped onion and mushrooms. I love portobello but you can have your pick, there are so many to choose from and all of them add a different dimension of flavor.
- When done, mix ground meat with the sauteed onion and mushrooms.
Putting It All Together:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take the muffin baking sheet, spray with butter, and place the purses crust into each muffin mold.
- Place the meat filling on top of each crust.
- Pinch the edges together to close.
- Chill Russian Savory Meat Purses for 15 min in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolk.
- Brush the egg yolk over the top crust and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Bake for about 30-40 min. Yammmmm
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit