Hope your day is going well. I am a big fan of Mac and Cheese, and frankly there are very few of us who is not. One time I had the most delicious mac and cheese with lobster. It was out of this world. But I am always open to new ways to make healthy options of the old time favorites. I was browsing pinterest and came across this post – Quinoa Spinach Mac and Cheese healthy alternative recipe for your kids to enjoy! and decided to tweak a few things to make it my own.
I always do it, it is pointless to fight…but do not we all…using goat yogurt allowed me to use less cheese without sacrificing the gooiness and thickness of the bake. (It is not a low fat dish, but ghee is an old Ayurvedic treatment and I am substituting white flour for almond meal, and cutting on fat by not using as much butter even htough goat yogurt i am using is full fat you can use a low fat version). It came out so good, so creamy, and a bit tangy from using the yogurt, it was finger liking good.
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 1 1/2 cup goat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Shriracha
- 4 oz shredded cheese of your choice
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 oz wild peeled shrimp
- 3/4 cups Ezikiel bread cereal
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- To prepare couscous. In a microwave safe dish combine 1 cup dried couscous, 1 tsp shriracha, and 1 cup broth. Mix well. Cook on high for 3 min 30 sec. When done fluff with fork.
- Heat up a saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of ghee and almond meal and heat over medium heat. Keep mixing until the ingredients come to a thick paste.
- Fold in goat yogurt. And the mixture to a boil. Keep mixing the ingredients throughout the process.
- Add in the nutmeg and shredded cheese. Remove from heat when thick sauce consistency is reached.
- In a separate pan bring water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook when they turn pink. Remove and run under colder water immediately when you see that shrimp is done to avoid overcooking.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cooked quinoa, chilled shrimp, cheese mixture, and spinach.
- Transfer everything into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Ezekiel cereal, red pepper flakes and chopped cilantro over the top of the casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and bake for 20 min or until light golden brown on top.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit