We are in our first week of the Free2BFit 90 Day Pilo-Yoga Challenge and of course just like fueling the car we need to get the best fuel for the bodies so we can stay lean, healthy, and happy. I personally cannot skip breakfast, I get so hungry If I do not eat after a workout I feel nauseous. However, I do tend to get stuck in what I eat and that gets boring. I was looking though cookbooks and came across Bibimbap – widely enjoyed and very much loved korean dish and traditionally served over bed of rice. So here is a Fit Breakfast Bowl – Free2BFit take on the korean inspiration (serves 4):
- 1 tbsp. walnut oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 sliced red onion
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tsp. Shriracha
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. Free2BFit basic spice blend (equal parts or vary ingredients amount to taste: paprika, onion granules, garlic granules, black pepper, mustard seeds, celery seed, lemon peel granules, marjoram, coriander, oregano, basil flakes, cilantro flakes)
- 20 asparagus stalks
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- To prepare quinoa. In a microwave safe dish combine 1/2 cup quinoa, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp. shriracha, and 1 cup of low-sodium broth. Mix well. Cook on high for 8 min.
- Add cheese and cook another 4 min. When done fluff with fork and let it stand for another minute.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pan; add walnut oil, chopped mushrooms, 1 tsp. of Free2BFit spice blend.
- Mix well and cook covered on low heat about 5 min or until onion and mushroom become tender.
- Meantime, in a separate pot boil water and add Free2Bfit spice blend and 1 tsp. smoky paprika powder (optional).
- When the water starts to bubble add asparagus and carrots. Bring to boil then drain immediately or asparagus will get mushy.
- Fold in drained vegetables into the pan with mushrooms, mix the items, cover and cook on low heat for about 3 min.
- To cook the egg. Heat up a heavy bottom skillet, spray a bit of oil, and cook them sunny side up.
- To make the Free2BFit Breakfast Bowl: layer quinoa, vegetable and top with egg. When you break the yolk it will run all over the vegetable, the smoked paprika give it a nice kick and then will come the cheesy quinoa. Delicious and so satisfying.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit