Pasta, pasta, pasta…who does not love it. And again in moderation there is nothing wrong with it. But what one does when it is late in the evening, tomorrow you are going to the beach and pasta is calling your name. You go and make a Satisfying Spaghetti Squash with Basil Mushroom Pesto. Yummy and 6 pack abs friendly will satisfy the craving without compromising your flat abs the next day. I am using onion because my new found love to it is never ending. I never used to it at all until last summer. I was craving onion. I would go to the store get 6 heads of red onion and put it on everything. I will run out in a few days. So now I am using red, white, green onions in my cooking. I love them all and they enhance the flavor of the dish tremendously.
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp. Free2BFit spice blend
- 2 cups mushroom of your choice
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- White ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, take out seeds (you can keep them and roast in an oven – makes a healthy snack).
- Place the squash cut side up on a baking dish. Sprinkle Free2Fit spice blend and rub it in a bit.
- Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced by a knife.
- In the meantime, chop onion, and slice mushrooms into strips.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pan and add 1 tbsp. of oil (I used walnut) and fold shopped onion, sprinkle with Free2Bit spice blend and let the onion absorb the flavor.
- Fold in mushrooms and simmer on low for 10 min or until mushrooms are tender.
- Place pine nuts, garlic, basil, oil, onion, and half of the mushroom saute. Pulse until smooth.
- When 45 min are up, turn squash over and cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Use a fork and pull the tender spaghetti pieces.
- Now you see – looks just like spaghetti. We will use the shell as our serving centerpiece. Make is look so pretty. So when done pulling of the pieces just fluff them and leave in the core.
- Top squash spaghetti with mushroom and mushroom pesto.
- Enjoy with Zucchini Carrot Hot Slice!
Esse Libere Fitness – Free To Be Fit