Hi guys, By now you know I like the hotter the better. Well I was thinking about having a salad for lunch but something different so I took my old times fav Bulgar Wheat salad and gave it a new taste – Avocado and Bulgur Wheat Kicking Salad. Plus with anti-inflammatory herbs like basil and cilantro it gives you an extra added health benefit besides tasking great.
- 1 cup dry bulgur wheat
- 1 or 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 tbsp. sriracha | or more if you like it really hot 🙂
- 1/2 large white onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 slivered almonds
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 Persian cucumbers
- bunch of cilantro
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. herb infused olive oil I used olive oil that was leftover from Spicy Marinaded Homemade Goat Cheese Balls
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pore stock into a glass bowl, add bulgur wheat, and sriracha. If you do not have sriracha then any hot sauce or red pepper flakes will do.
- Cook in microwave on high for 90 sec, fluff and cook another 90 sec. When ready place in the fridge to cool down.
- Meanwhile, chop onion, cilantro, basil, pepper, avocado, tomato, cucumber, place in a bowl and mix. Add slivered almonds and infused olive oil. Fold in cool bulgur wheat. Mix well.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour or more. I really like this salad cold but if you are short on time it still will taste great since your veg was in the fridge to start with.
I had my salad as a side dish with the Lean and Mean Autumn Power Up Soup but if you are looking to make this a complete mean and want more protein you can add shrimp or diced grilled chicken.
Svetlana – EsseFit ” Free2BFit”