With days growing shorter and the wind getting colder there is nothing better then home-style cooking. Here is my take on everyone’s comfort food favorite (Shepard Pie) – Upside down Buffalo Sheppard Pie. I think we try to get it lean protein from chicken and fish but overlook a great tasty protein power house like buffalo meat which is high in iron (helps with beating fatigue) and vitamin B-12 (reducing depression). Of course you can use soy milk or nut milks so it is a win win and if you are looking for a low carb option then swap potatoes for zucchini or squash. However, if this is your refuel day then you are in for one protein packed treat 🙂
- 10 peeled potatoes
- 2 lb ground buffalo
- 2 cups goat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or beef froth
- 1 tbsp. ground onion flakes
- 1 tbsp. garlic granules
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a saucepan combine milk, rosemary, cheese, rosemary, red pepper flakes, garlic granules, onion flakes, 1 egg and bring to a bowl. Then turn down the heat and simmer on low until half of the liquid evaporates and the mixture become thicker.
- In a bowl mix the ground buffalo, egg, pepper, and vinegar.
- Using a mandoline slicer cut potatoes (1/16 inch) into round circles.
- Place them on the bottom of the cast iron pan, pore the hot white cheesy sauce over, spread the ground buffalo meat, and pore broth overall the layers.
- Cover with foil, and cook on lower rack for 45 min, then take off the foil and bake for another 20-30 min.
Esse Libere Fitness – Free2BFit