I’ve yet to find a person who does not like potatoes. I think those precious tubers can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. And of course many of us do exactly that. We make hash browns for breakfast, potato soup for lunch, mashed potatoes for dinner and the list go on with chips, fries (oven baked way better) and such. So of course one cannot deny oneself and not make potato patties. This time I made mine with beans, cilantro and carrots and topped with Harissa Americana.
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked mashed carrots
- 4 cups cooked black eyes beans
- 1 tbsp. dried parley flakes
- 4 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or ghee, optional
- 2 tsp. Free2Bfit Spice Blend
- ghee or coconut oil, for cooking
- To make mashed potatoes and carrots, you will need to fill up a pot with water, add peeled potatoes (about 2 lbs.) and carrots (5 medium). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 15 min or until veggies are soft when you pierce with with a knife. Then drain almost all water reserving just about 1/2 cup so when you mash
- In a bowl combine cooled mashed potatoes, carrots, and add half of the beans. You can use canned beans but I prefer homemade as it is so simple to make. Here is a link to the post with detailed instruction on how to make them. Just substitute chickpeas with beans. Using a kitchen blender (I used Cuisinart PowerBlend Food Processor) blend the other half of the beans. Splitting beans up adds structure and texture to the patties and make them a little more meaty.
- Fold in mashed beans, onion, cilantro, spices. If you prefer not to taste onion and parsley chunks and would like a spices ground up small, I recommend to use food processor to create a smoother consistency.
- Mix all ingredients and form patties. Heat up a cast-iron skillet and add few spoons of water (you can also use (ghee or coconut oil), turn the heat on low and place your patties on the skillet. Cook for 2 min or until golden brown then flip them over and repeat and enjoy! This batch make about 15 good size patties.
Please do not forget to like us and share your love for all things food with your friends.