This post is about about making home cooked beans so you have a batch on hand (you can freeze them for future use). I know store bought beans seem like an easy way to bean up your meals but in reality cooking beans is not that hard and all you need is Crock-Pot or a Cast-Iron Dutch Oven and a few fresh ingredients. But was a difference does it make. I am sure to make enough to make burgers and a bean salsa. Two for one, what a treat.
- 2 cups dried black beans | soaked overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1 celery bunch, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 garlic gloves, minced
- 3 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- dash of pink Himalayan salt, optional
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Soak the beans overnight, drain and rinse.
- Place the beans and all spices into a pot and cover with 2 inches of water.
- Bring the beans to a boil, lower the heat to low, and cook for 1.5 hour or until tender. Check the beans every 15 min to see if they are cooked.
- When beans are tender, remove bay leaf and enjoy as is or use them in salsa (drain the liquid and chill), burgers (reserve some of the liquid), or creamy soup (blend 1/2 beans in a high speed blender then fold it back to the other part)
Sharing is caring!!! Please like us and share with your family and friends through our user friendly social media sharing buttons.