I ventured out and finally made my version of the spring roll. It came out more of the mixture though between spring roll and a dumpling. So here is my Festive Dumpling Roll. You can make this a vegan/vegetarian dish simply by skipping chicken.
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins, chopped
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, julienne
- 2 tbsp. Red Boat fish sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- spring roll wrappers
- ghee or coconut oil, for cooking
- hot water, for wrappers
- In a glass bowl whisk soy sauce, vinegar, fish sauce and flax seeds (you can use chia seeds too). Fold in chicken and coat well. Set aside so flavors can come together for at least 30 min.
- In the mean time, shred cabbage, julienne carrots, cut onions.
- Turn the stove top to medium heat, and add 1 tbsp. of ghee to a heavy bottom pan, fold in green onion, garlic and ginger. Simmer, mixing continuously for about 1 minute.
- Fold in carrots and cabbage and 1/2 cup of stock and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 min.
- While veggies are cooking, turn the stove top to high, add 1 tbsp. of ghee to to a heavy bottom pan. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink but still juice, otherwise it will overcook and get dry when you will be cooking the the dumplings rolls.
- Place hot water in a big glass bowl (bid enough so you can out your wrapper flat). Place 1 wrapper into the water and let it soften until it almost roll itself into a roll. You can experiment and leave the wrapper in the water (1 minute or so), it will not dissolve, well unless you leave it there for a very long time. *Tip: if the wrapper does not stick when you are rolling the dumpling rolls, that means you should leave it a little longer int eh water so it sticks easily.*
- Spread the wrapper on the table surface and add about one tablespoon of filling. Start rolling then fold lefts side, fold right side, then continue rolling until it is done.
- To cook the dumpling rolls, heat up 1 tbsp. of ghee in a heavy bottom skillet. Place roll sand cook until light brown, then flip to the other side. You can pan fry on all four sides but I only did on two, that way it is a perfect combo of crispy and tender textures. I also chopped up some green onion and sprinkled mine with toasted sesame seeds. Awesome. Enjoy!
Inspired by Steamy Kitchen Chinese Spring Rolls recipe.
Sharing is caring!!! Please click like, subscribe and share with your family and friends through our user friendly social media sharing buttons.